“Anything is good if it’s made of chocolate.” -Jo Brand
Aside from the occasional banana bread or cardamom walnut chai cake, I generally don’t make sweets, brownies or cakes. In fact, I’d say desserts in general are usually reserved for special occasions or if we have company over. You see, I have a sweet tooth at home ‘ahem’ The Husband, that if given the opportunity would devour an entire box of mithai (Indian sweets) or three-four cupcakes in one go.
I made these Salted Pistachio Brownies for Little Mirchi’s second birthday. Until recently she hadn’t even tasted chocolate (#MomWin). However, that all changed a few weeks ago when a certain dessert loving someone ‘ahem, again’ The Husband introduced her to Bourbon’s (a chocolate biscuit filled with chocolate cream). Now that I have a mini chocoholic on my hands, I figured brownies would be the perfect birthday treat for her. While I’d love to say these have a hidden vegetable in them, they don’t. They are pure chocolatey goodness, filled with chocolate chips, pistachios and a hint of sea salt. That’s what birthdays are for though right? To indulge, spoil yourself and be spoiled.
- 1 cup unsweetened chocolate chips
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- ½ cup raw unsalted pistachios
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup butter (one stick)
- ¾ cup flour
- 3 eggs
- 6 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Toast the pistachios on medium-low heat for 4-5 minutes; set aside. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease or line an 8×8-inch baking dish with parchment paper. Beat the sugar and butter until creamy. Gradually add the eggs, beating until the mixture is smooth and fluffy. Add the vanilla, cocoa powder and oil. Then add the flour and salt in 2 or 3 parts, mixing after each addition. Mix in chocolate chips and half of the pistachios. Pour batter into pan and sprinkle remaining pistachios over the batter evenly. Bake for 25 minutes. Let cool 15 minutes before slicing. Makes 12 large size brownies. Enjoy!