Roasted Beetroot Pesto is bold in flavor, nutty, with a vibrant pink hue. Pair it with pasta, fresh vegetables or spread on homemade pizza.
My favorite way to serve this pesto is with pasta. Cook your pasta of choice (I use spaghetti) in boiling salted water until al dente. Drain and immediately toss with roasted beetroot pesto. Top with goat cheese and enjoy hot.
- 1 ½ cup beetroot; roasted and chopped (about 1 large beet)
- 4 cloves garlic
- ½ cup walnuts; roasted
- ½ cup parmesan cheese grated
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wash and scrub the beetroot and pat it dry.
- Place the beetroot and garlic cloves on a large sheet of foil. Add a tablespoon of olive oil and wrap the in foil, making a foil packet.
- Place the packet on a baking sheet and roast for 50 minutes, or until beetroot is fork tender.
- Roast walnuts in a heavy bottom pan for 3-4 minutes on medium heat until fragrant.
- Allow beetroot to cool completely before peeling and cutting into quarters.
- Add all ingredients except for the oil to a food processor or blender and pulse several times.
- Leaving the food processor (or blender) running, slowly add the olive oil until all ingredients are well combined. If the pesto is too thick for your blender to process, add a small amount of water until desired consistency is reached.
Looking for other ways to use beetroot? Try these rainbow rotis or this beetroot kalakand.