Delicate, sweet, melt in your mouth eggless cardamom cookies filled with berry rose jam and a dusting of pistachio.
These cookies have been a part of my Diwali gift box for the last few years. They are simple, light and delicately flavored of cardamom with your jam of choice. I love these little cookies as they remind me of a modern take on the traditional North Indian shortbread cookie, Nankathai.
This darling cookie all starts with a simple eggless cookie dough which is rolled into one inch smooth balls. A small dent with your thumb is made in the center of cookie round which is then filled with your favorite jam. Chill the cookies in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes before baking, this helps the cookies maintain their round shape and from your jam over flowing. After baking and setting them cool, you’ll have crumbly cardamom bites with hints of berry and rose. Perfect with afternoon chai, a high setting or when you’re in the mood for a little sweet something.
This week we’re sharing a recipe printable with Amrit from Bharat Babies book “Let’s Celebrate Diwali”. If you missed the recipe cover or the other inserts, you can download them here, here and here. Every week we have featured a new character printable to help your little ones learn how Diwali is celebrated by the four faiths: Buddhism, Hinduism, Jainism and Sikhism. Download all four and make a special recipe book like I did for Little Mirchi!
This is how Amrit, the Sikh character from Bharat Babies celebrates Diwali with his family:
Sikhs celebrate the day Guru Har Gobind freed himself from jail after being wrongfully imprisoned. In Sikhism this day is referred to as “Bandi Chhor Divas.” After his escape, he arrived at the Golden Temple located in Amritsar On this day, the Golden Temple is lit up with fireworks and lights in celebration of this great day.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2½ tablespoon cornstarch
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- ½ cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ teaspoon cardamom powder
- 3 tablespoon berry rose jam
- 1 teaspoon milk (optional)
- 1 teaspoon pistachio dust (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Sieve the flour and the cornstarch together into a bowl.
- In another bowl beat in the butter and the sugar with a hand blender or a wire whisk until smooth and creamy.
- Add in the flour mixture, cardamom powder and vanilla extract and mix until smooth and there are no lumps. Add milk only if the dough is too stiff and not pliable.
- Divide dough into 20 equal portions. Make smooth one inch balls. Arrange them on prepared cookie sheet.
- Make indentation in the center with your thumb and fill it with the jam.
- Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with pistachio dust. Let cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes before moving them to a cooling rack. Cool completely before serving.
- Store in air tight container for up to three days.
If you enjoyed this post, check out these Diwali inspired posts.